Wednesday 28 August 2024

Meet Hyacinth Ogonna, talented footballer whose Messi's arrival at Barcelona inspired him to strive for greatness



By Wale Mustapha


For Hyacinth Ogonna, playing football remains his motivation, source of joy and avenue to become great. 


The enterprising young forward is fast becoming one of the talented players penciled for greatness in a foreseeable future. 


He arrived at Dino Sporting Club in 2017 as a relatively unknown player but quickly became the face of the fast rising youth team in Nigeria.



Ogonna recently signed a three year deal with Belgian club side, Westerlo FC to continue his development as a footballer. 


In this exclusive interview with OnwardNews24, Ogonna talked about his football journey so far, highest moments in football and source of motivation to strive for more. 


Q: What inspired you to start playing football? 


Ogonna: I started playing football at a very young age, playing football makes me happy and I enjoyed it, so I said that I will be a professional footballer, it’s what I love doing the most.


Q: Is there a coach or athlete that you look up to as a role model and why?


Ogonna: It's Lionel Messi. His story of arrival in Barcelona always motivates me. It taught me that when they doubt you prove them wrong with your best performance always. 


Q: What do you believe is the greatest challenge most athletes are facing today?


Ogonna: My perspective I think is consistency.


Q: What are your highest moments in the colors of Dino SC?


Ogonna: My highest moments in the colors of Dino SC was when we won the TCC Cup. It was a moment of greatness being able to be among the players to win a trophy for the club. It's amazing moments for me. 


Q: How much has playing in Dino influence your career and as a person?


Ogonna: Dino SC played a very big role in my life, on and off the pitch, it's helped shape my attitude, development, exposure, experience and so on, I was guided.

Dino SC is a family to me and a big thanks to Dino family.



Q: Tell us about the person, Chief Samuel Columbus and who he is to you?


Ogonna: Chief Samuel Ali Columbus is like a father to me. 

I’m really thankful to him for believing in me even when there were critics, he only saw the light in me and also showed and guided me in the right path to success. 

He treats and loves me like a son and I’m grateful to him because he's a Godsent to me.


Q: What are the preparations you think Dino has given you to be a champion?


Ogonna: I learned that to be a champion you must have a good attitude, be hard working and dedicated, be the best in what you love to do best, be exceptional, always be ready.

If you believe you can achieve anything you put your mind to it. 



Q: What are your dreams in football?


Ogonna: To play for the best teams in the world, win the world's best player, win a champions league trophy, win the World Cup with my country Nigeria, to be recognized as one of the greatest footballers of all time. 


Q: Have you set any target for yourself over there in Belgium?


Ogonna: Yes I have set my target and I believe I will achieve them.

No comments:

Post a Comment