Sunday 15 October 2017

Tornadoes' Ikefe banks on determination to beat Akwa United


Niger Tornadoes' utility player, Andrew Ikefe has singled out determination as tonic his side would need to get over Akwa United when both sides meet in the 2017 Aiteo Cup final on Sunday in Lagos.

Ikefe who has been an integral member of Tornadoes this season guiding the club to 11th place in the just concluded Nigeria Professional Football League, NPFL season and in the final of the oldest club competition in the country, their first since 17 years.

The former Katsina United defender knew the task of usurping Akwa United to the title would be enormous but believed mental and physical focus would his side through in the final.

"Its a great feeling for me to qualify for my first fa cup final, I feel excited about it and relishing it already I believe me and my team mates will give it all it required and lift the cup.

"It's the determination we have from the on set of the competition, the way we have been backing ourselves support ourselves so far and I believe the determination will get us to win the cup.

"Its a big plus playing in the oldest competition in Nigeria, it will add more good things to my cv and my team mates and we believe the God that started this journey with us will take it to perfection. 

Ikefe, who won five Man of the Match awards for Tornadoes in the just concluded NPFL season disclosed that joining the Ikon Allah Boys was down to the club's structure and transparency as well as the coach's trust in him.

"I'm happy to have chosen Tornadoes over other clubs, it's a team built around young boys who are ready to play with total commitment, there's openness and encouragement from the management and the coach (Abubakar Bala) has been great in his approach and they he deal with everybody here.

"Like the coach told us before the beginning of the season as our target was to be top 10, that was achieved and the FA Cup started and we were like let's see how far we can go and I thank God for where we've reached, we pray for happy ending by winning the Aiteo Cup and hoping next season will be more better," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment